Dvir = Zvul?

A thought that I had a bit earlier:

When I think about the word "dvir" (דביר), I understand what it's used to refer to: The inner sanctum of a temple (also borrowed to refer to a city in Eretz Yehudah). But I don't know the etymology of the word. What does the word itself literally mean? What do all of its parts put together mean? Why does dvir specifically mean inner sanctum?

Well, I don't have a clear answer on that, but I had a thought: Many letters in Semitic languages are interchangeable and often get switched around. And it just so happens that all of the letters in dvir can be interchanged. In this case, some meaning of the word dvir can be leaned by switching three of its four letters: ד, י, ר with their parallels ז, ו, ל. Keeping the ב, we get the word "Zvul" (זבול) which is also a term used to refer to a temple, or part of a temple. I think that's pretty neat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Islamic Arabian Dust Worship

Anakim, Rephaim, oh my!

Big news! Kind of...