A short note on Ivtzan

I really hope I'll have time soon for the second Dan's naviphobia post (fear of boats, not prophets), but in the mean time, a quick, short note on Ivtzan:

Ivtzan (אבצן) was one of the lesser-known judges, although he was made popular because the Talmud identified him with Boaz. In one of my earliest posts, I brought some suggestions for the meaning of his name. At the time, I was only aware of a place called תבץ (Tevetz), and that seemed too different for a connection to be made, but a few days ago I discovered that there was also a place called אבץ (Evetz), so it's possible that his name came from that and his name denotes some sort of connection to that place.

Likelihood: I won't get into it too much right now, but there's a debate among both commentators and academic scholars on whether Ivtzan was from the Galilean Beit Lechem or the Judean Beit Lechem. A connection to the Galilean town of Evetz seems to strengthen the Galilean identification.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Islamic Arabian Dust Worship

Anakim, Rephaim, oh my!

Big news! Kind of...