The Mystery of David's Name, pt. 2, and Suggestions for Yishai's

Last year I made a post about what I perceived (and still do, to some extent), to being a big mystery, and that, is the meaning of David's name. I brought a few theories and suggestions, but nothing solid. A few days ago, a new theory came to mind, which I think is more solid (though not necessarily perfect):

Daat Mikra and others suggest that David is a short-form of Dodvayahu, which is a combination of Dod (beloved) and the name of Hashem, so it means = beloved of Hashem. I rejected this option in my previous post, but having thought about it again this week, I think it might point to another possibility:

In Hebrew, there are things called "binyanim" (בניינים). Wikipedia tells me that this should be translated as "grammatical conjugations". In short, in Semitic languages, verbs can be deflected to different tenses and forms. Typically, these are symbolized by verbs in the פעל (P'AL) root. One such form is the פעיל form, which means that someone is active. Since the name David דוד has the same vowel-sounds as פעיל, I thought that perhaps David is the active form of Dod, i.e., to be David means to be active in loving. Dod is the noun and David is the active verb form.

I like this new theory, but as I'm not a grammar expert (as you can probably tell from the previous paragraph) and certainly not a Tanachic grammar expert, I don't know if this idea actually holds water.

I also had a couple of thoughts about Yishai's name. Yishai, of course, was David's father. I read once an essay on Yishai's name. If I remember correctly, the writer said that Yishai couldn't be a short-form and a contraction of Ish-Shai איש-שי, which would translate as man-gift or something like that. I do recall that the writer never explained why this was impossible. So that's the first option. The long-form of the contraction, Ishai אישי, can be found in Chronicles 1:2:13.

Another option is also based on the long form of the name, but not as a contraction of two words. Rather, it would mean "my fires". There is one instance in Tanach where the term "my fires" was masoretically vowelized in the same manner as Ishai אישי, and that is Bamidbar 28:2:

"...צַו אֶת בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל וְאָמַרְתָּ אֲלֵהֶם אֶת קׇרְבָּנִי לַחְמִי לְאִשַּׁי"

granted, in this case אשי is missing a Yod (אשי as opposed to אישי), so it's not a perfect suggestion, but I think it does have some merit and is worth thinking about.

Instead of a picture, I'm leaving this link to a song about King David.

Shabbat Shalom! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Islamic Arabian Dust Worship

Anakim, Rephaim, oh my!

Big news! Kind of...