The blog banner

 I always planned to make this post but never got around to it.

What's the deal with the blog's banner?


(image taken from my files. Copyright me)

Well, first of all, what are we seeing here, and what does that have to do with Tanach?
Okay, so this image as related to Tanach is a bit of a cheat because it's based on a midrash. The midrash, which exists in a few versions (here's one from Otzar Hamidrashim), describes Yoav ben Tz'ruyah, King David's general, going off with an army to battle the Amalekites in their state (or city-state?) of Kinsli. After six months of siege, the men get tired and want to leave. Yoav decides to launch himself over the city walls and figure out a way to unlock the gates and let his men in. He does this, and eventually manages to get his men in and they defeat the Amalekites.

Fast-forward a few thousand years later, and it's Inktober of Elul-Tishrei 5779-5780 and I decided I would try the challenge (after not having done it since high school) and decided my theme would be aggadic stories. I drew this for day 18 when the keyword was "sling".

On every drawing I wrote the relevant portion of the aggadah, as can be seen here.

Then one day when I had some free time and was bored, I decided to color it:



And when I started the blog, I decided to make it the banner. I erased the text, though.




*And yes, I'm aware Yoav probably had darker skin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Islamic Arabian Dust Worship

Anakim, Rephaim, oh my!

Big news! Kind of...